My name is Trevor. I was taken to a shelter in Carson, CA by someone. I'm an older dog at 8 years old, so odds are no one was going to take me. I was still a happy dog, and someone from a rescue called Labradors and Friends saw me and decided to rescue me. I spent most of my time in a boarding facility in Orange County, CA. The people at LAF posted about me on Facebook and on their website asking for a foster or forever home for me. Little did I know that a family who had just lost their 16 1/2 year old dog was reading about me and some of my friends. They were considering being a foster family.
On Saturday, October 8, 2016, I went to Petco with a volunteer so I could meet people and try to find my forever home. The foster family lived nearby so dropped by to ask questions about the fostering process. I met the nice lady and her two daughters who are 11 and 9 years old. I met other people too, and loved every person I met. In fact, I don't think there is a person I don't immediately love.
The dad of my foster home wasn't there, so they waited to ask him if I could go live with them. He said YES!
Yesterday was a wonderful day. I ate my breakfast at the kennel and a volunteer took me on a walk. My foster family drove up and saw her taking me, but they figured they'd let me get some energy out while they went inside to talk to people. When I got back from my walk, the 2 girls and lady were there again. The volunteer gave my foster mom some stuff, including my leash with me attached to it, and my foster mom and the girls took me out to their car. I got in the back of the SUV and settled in. One of the girls opened the window and I tried to stick my nose out, but I was too far in back. I managed to drool a bit on the seat, but they said that was ok. It was only about a 15 minute car ride.
I jumped out of the back of the car and was lead up these things they called stairs. I was a bit hesitant at first because, if I have seen them, it has been a while since I climbed them. I got inside the house and was led around to check things out. They let me off the leash. I like being around people, so I would just follow one of my foster family around to see what they were doing and where they were going. I followed them up a LOT of stairs and I got to another level of the house. They have a lizard in a terrarium, but I paid no attention to it at all. Then they led me back downstairs and showed me this thing called a "doggie door." They had to push it out for me and have one person on the other side of it calling me to go through it. It helped that they had treats. I went out to what they call the dog run and did my business. They all were happy and called me a good boy. I did that a couple more times that day, where they helped me in and out of the doggie door.
I spent most of the morning following them around various rooms of the house. I was calm, never barked, even when someone new entered the house and am very "sweet". My foster mom made lunch for the family. I laid down in the kitchen, but never got underfoot and I minded my manners and never begged. The family kept telling me "Up" and patting their couch, but I didn't go up. Finally, that night, I accepted their invitation to go on the couch while they watched a movie, and I took a nap on the couch. My family now knows I'm a very obedient dog and so if a forever home doesn't want me on their furniture, I will be a good boy and not go. But if I am allowed up, couches are a rather comfy place to nap.
That evening after dinner, I went on a walk. I met a pitbull. He was friendly and we said hello. I was more interested in saying hi to his owners. Next, we came across a really yippy chihuahua. I acted like the dog wasn't even there. I walk great on a leash, never pulling. I go at a nice pace. I would be a wonderful walking companion for an active older person who just likes taking a walk each day or for a family who wants a dog who isn't high maintenance. If you are interested in having me join your family, please check out www.Labradorsandfriends.org.

No comments:
Post a Comment